Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The "Hobbit" diet

Well this new "lifestyle change" I've been on is causing me some stress. I found it in a book about thyroid diet (I have hypothyroidism, and losing weight has been more difficult since my diagnosis). I read the e-book and it seemed like it made a lot of sense. So for the first month, I embarked on the "conditioning" phase. Basically, this translated to eating a lot more calories, lower fat, higher protein. The goal is to boost the metabolism so that when you enter the fat burning phase, your body doesn't think it's starving and slow the metabolism. Makes sense right? In theory it sounds great. Practically speaking, it meant eating a lot more than I wanted to. My friends at school couldn't believe how much food I would pull out at lunch. And honestly I never thought I'd complain about having to eat too much, but it really was a lot....3200 calories. It wouldn't have been hard if it could have been any food I wanted, but I still had to watch the fat and sugar. I nicknamed it the hobbit diet because you basically eat 6 meals a day. So around 10 am, I was partaking in my 2nd breakfast, just like the hobbits do. It was so counterintuitive, but I decided to stick with it and see.

So yesterday, I finally made it to the fat burning phase. I was anxious to get there, as that's when the weight starts coming off (as opposed to packing on a few pounds in conditioning). So yesterday, the program told me what I needed to eat and it was virtually impossible. It told me to eat 240 g of protein (hard enough anyway), but only 40 g of fat and 25 g of sugar. Wow, even eating low fat meat racks up the fat grams. And even 2 cups of milk gives you almost 25 g of sugar. So after all that work in conditioning, I think I'm going to have to switch plans. I just don't think drinking protein shakes for the rest of my life is very practical. I've got to have something do-able......and I'm tired of feeling like a hobbit!

So on an unrelated topic, I checked out a book on sign language to peruse on the long van ride to Nashville. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out a check for 490 some dollars. Even more shocking, it was endorsed on the back! Wow! Someone must have been freaking out last fall when they couldn't find that check. Guess I'll mail it to the person that wrote it. So what's the weirdest thing you've ever found in a library book?

3 comments:

Krystal said...

Enjoyed your blog. I never check mine, I vowed this year I would be better at posting. Chad and I are opening a coffee house and I am dying for your aesthetic opinions! :) -- Krystal

Niki said...

Well, the hobbit diet is working for me so far, but you have me scared about the fat burning phase! Let's chat tomorrow during your drive home from work...

I miss you!

Tawnya said...

Krystal: I'd love to give you my aesthetic opinions. I'm so excited for you! Sounds like fun.....And yes, I'm waiting for you to post some more!

Niki: Nice chatting with you today. So glad we're in this (whatever this is) together! Miss you too!

RANT: (noun) a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion. RAVE: (noun) An extravagantly enthusiastic opinion or review. RAMBLING: (noun) A walk without a definite route, taken merely for pleasure (I'm sure this applies to writing too). So if I'm completely honest, I'm rarely a ranter, seldom a raver, but often a rambler. Come stroll with me.....