Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Let it snow!

Today the snow fell all afternoon. It was very pretty, and although it was only 2-3 inches, it caused major problems. Before I left work, I learned that there was both a 10-car and a 37-car pile up, closing the highway I take to get home. My drive home is usually 45 minutes, so I was anticipating a very long commute. I was pleasantly surprised that the mess was cleared up and the drive only took me just under an hour. I used to be a nail biter, but now the only times I catch myself biting them is in tricky traffic situations and while doing some creative problem solving. Needless to say, I now have 8 fairly long nails and 2 stubs.


As I drove home, I thought about the simple pleasures related to winter. So as promised, here's a list.....

1. My heated back massager. (My car has leather seats, and this simple $15 device makes me feel cozy and relaxed on days like today).
2. Chai Latte
3. Snow Ice Cream (haven't had that in awhile).
4. SNOW DAYS (should be # 1 on the list).
5. Coming home to find my driveway shoveled (my neighbor in Wichita used to do that kind of thing for me).
6. A fire in the fireplace.
7. Getting to wear boots all the time.
8. Trees covered in ice (as long as you don't have to go anywhere and still have power).
9. Sledding.
10. An untouched pristine snowscape (you know, no mailman tracks, tire tracks, kids footprints, or shoveling marks).
11. Snow so sparkly it looks like it's been glittered.
12. The plaza lights here in KC.


13. The end of winter (it's definitely not my favorite season).

3 comments:

Chelf said...

I like glittery snow, too, especially if it is fluffy, and puffs into a huge dandelion puff when you kick it. Our snow is so small, if you kick it, you get a divot, like grass when you golf. So sad.

As a kid we used to get ice cream and eat it by the fire... I know it sounds silly, but I loved it! That, and watching lightning storms through the picture window. Dad would turn the couch around, and we used to cuddle and watch the storms. I have never since been afraid of pretty and noisy storms.

Patricia said...

I like that list. I've heard of snow ice cream, but I've never had it. And the Plaza lights are lovely.

Anonymous said...

I like snow ice cream too. Even though I've never tried it. My aunt says the yellow snow makes the best kind. Abbey

RANT: (noun) a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion. RAVE: (noun) An extravagantly enthusiastic opinion or review. RAMBLING: (noun) A walk without a definite route, taken merely for pleasure (I'm sure this applies to writing too). So if I'm completely honest, I'm rarely a ranter, seldom a raver, but often a rambler. Come stroll with me.....