Sunday, August 5, 2007

Thursday In Colorado

Thursday I made arrangements to meet up with my aunt, uncle and cousins in Idaho Springs. We had some great pizza at Beau Jo's. My Uncle Ken suggested a pretty drive we could take from there. At his suggestions we stopped at Echo Lake at the base of Mt. Evans.



We then began our ascent of Mt. Evans, stopping at this pretty little roadside waterfall where I took pictures of the Nowell kids.



We continued our ascent. The kids were actually scared Niki would run the van off the road. She was an excellent driver, but these roads did look a bit treacherous. So glad she was driving.



Near the top of the mountain, we encountered some wild mountain goats. They actually didn't seem that wild, as they were grazing without a care just beside the road.

Niki claims she isn't a good photographer, but I spotted this critter and handed her the camera and she took this great shot out her car window. Extra credit if you know what this critter is (don't tell them Niki).

That evening, I had the opportunity to go see the pre-Broadway production of Disney's "The Little Mermaid" on stage. I didn't even know it was out yet until I got to Denver and saw signs everywhere. I couldn't believe they had balcony seats for $20. I tried and tried all week to get seats, hoping that Niki, Rebecca, and I could go together. Finally, I was able to get the very last ticket for Thursday night. I had to pay $70, but it was well worth it to get better seats anyway. Niki was kind enough to drop me off and pick me up. Hopefully in the future, I will write a review of the show for you musical fans. For now, suffice it to say that it ranks right up there with "Wicked" in my book. In fact, the costumes and special effects were probably much better, though I liked "Wicked's" storyline and music better. When you think about the complexities of turning the stage into an underwater world, it is just amazing what they were able to do.

5 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

A Yellow-bellied Marmot would be my guess....

Anonymous said...

I love catching up with your blog! I need to go to bed, but I'm having too much fun reading about all of your summer adventures.

Tawnya said...

Heather: Yeah, you get the prize. Well actually, I didn't check its belly to see if it was yellow, but it is a marmot. And I had no idea how to spell it, so thanks for that.

Kathy: Good to hear from you.

Chelf said...

The road up (or down, if you wish) the back side of Pike's Peak is even more scary, it is not paved and it is only wide enough for one car.

I remember dad once driving up that way. He stopped, and told me to open my door and look back and tell him how far the back tire was from the edge. TWO INCHES! He said, "That much, really?"

Glad HE was driving then.

I love your stories and adventures!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

soooo, uh what's the prize? :-p

RANT: (noun) a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion. RAVE: (noun) An extravagantly enthusiastic opinion or review. RAMBLING: (noun) A walk without a definite route, taken merely for pleasure (I'm sure this applies to writing too). So if I'm completely honest, I'm rarely a ranter, seldom a raver, but often a rambler. Come stroll with me.....